Monday, September 16, 2013

Safety First & A Belly Full of Muffins

IMG_1455
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I spent mine out at the shooting range taking a rifle and pistol class. When I first visited Boise I had the opportunity to dip my feet in rifle shooting by taking a weekend class. I learned safety and the basics behind shooting. The class I took this weekend was a step up from my first class. We did many of the same drills but added other components in to simulate real life events. Up until this point I really hadn't had much pistol training, just going out to the range with family and friends and learning on my own. I felt a huge confidence boost this weekend, now that I have learned the correct technique. I have been working really hard on keeping both eyes open when shooting and this weekend proved my hard work has been paying off. I never really caught myself with one eye closed and my accuracy is much more on point. I really enjoyed the dynamic of this co-ed class. We were a mixed group when it came to experience levels and I really think this added to the success of the class. Everyone was able to learn from one another and our instructor.  

What exciting plans did you have this weekend?
IMG_6128
The last few weeks I have been doing a lot more experimenting when cooking. Mainly trying new recipes that have stacked up over time. Avoiding my sweet tooth and baking obsession has been a little difficult but my waist line has thanked me. I did try these blueberry muffins which I found in blogland on Marshall's Abroad. Amanda recently posted this recipe and I couldn't find a way not to make them! These muffins are full of flavor and will not disappoint. I have this recipe saved in my stash as a keeper!
Photo via Marshalls Abroad
Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar Topping
(recipe via Marshalls Aboard)

{makes about 1 dozen}

2 C fresh blueberries
1/2 lemon, squeezed juice + zest
1/2 C whole greek yogurt 
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C olive oil
1 egg
1 C raw sugar (I substituted brown sugar, still completely delicious)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
1 tbs raw sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Whisk the egg with the olive oil and add in the greek yogurt. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and vanilla, until just combined. Be careful not to stir too much or your muffins may collapse once out of the oven! Gently fold in the fresh blueberries with the squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest.  Fill a greased muffin pan with the batter at about 3/4 full for each cup. Be generous as you sprinkle on the topping on each muffin, and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until you can place a toothpick in the middle of a muffin and it comes out dry. My muffin pan made 12; a reader said her's made 16. 
Enjoy! These are so delicious!

Be sure to Check out Amanda's Blog, Marshall's Abroad

No comments:

Post a Comment