Sunday, April 29, 2012

Three's Company, Four's A Relay: 2012 Illinois Marathon

Saturday morning I was up at 5:30 preparing for the Illinois Relay Marathon. I think everyone participating was a little nervous the weather wouldn't hold out for us. This is the 4th year of the marathon and every other year the weather has been really nice. The conditions were a little colder and windy than expected but the rain held out!

My relay team was a group from the gym, we are all regulars at 5:30 strength class and we all became quick friends, prompting us to run the relay together. Last year we all competed in individual events but I think they would agree the relay much more for-filling.

I am so proud of our finish in 4 hours, 9 minutes, 27 seconds. We had planned on running the race between 4:20-4:40 and blew our estimation out the window. We averaged 9:5 minutes a mile. I know I was nervous I would be the slowpoke of the group and ruin our time!

The top finishers of the men's and women's marathon both broke the previous records set and I believe there were 20,000 entrants competing this weekend. Congrats to all who participated, thank you to all who volunteered and to those who withstood the weather to cheer everyone on! The 2012 marathon was a success.

I am thankful I was able to run with such a great group. More photos will be posted shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment